Comics in the Classroom
Comics can provide teachers with an engaging way for students to express what they have learned. There are several websites that provide easy to use programs that will help students create their own comics. Below are three websites that I have reviewed and examples of the comics that I made using each website. Each of the comics that I made are examples of interactions of body systems which can be used as an assignment for students in a science class.
The first application I reviewed is ToonDoo which can be reached by clicking on this link: http://www.toondoo.com ToonDoo was very user-friendly and even allowed for images to be uploaded from the computer. However, the application provides its own images and editing functions. It is limited to just a few panels, though. The graphics provided are very basic and image quality is not as high, but the program is sufficient for use in the classroom. Students can log-in using their google accounts, which makes for easy login. Here is an example of a comic I made using ToonDoo. I created the heart image myself using Word, Adobe Acrobat, and Paint.
The first application I reviewed is ToonDoo which can be reached by clicking on this link: http://www.toondoo.com ToonDoo was very user-friendly and even allowed for images to be uploaded from the computer. However, the application provides its own images and editing functions. It is limited to just a few panels, though. The graphics provided are very basic and image quality is not as high, but the program is sufficient for use in the classroom. Students can log-in using their google accounts, which makes for easy login. Here is an example of a comic I made using ToonDoo. I created the heart image myself using Word, Adobe Acrobat, and Paint.
The next application I used was Pixton which can be accessed using this link: https://www.pixton.com/ This site is specifically set-up for teachers and classrooms, but is not as user-friendly and it is expensive to unlock all the features. But with the free version, it was still possible to build an adequate comic. The images provided are not as versatile, but the image quality is much higher. The site allows for more than twenty panels in each comic. However, because it was not as user-friendly, it required a lot of trial an error to learn to create the comic. Students may enjoy creating their own avatar because it can be used in the comic. This site does offer a lot of great ways to use comics in the classroom, so for this reason alone it is worth visiting the site. Here is the comic I made using this application:
The final application I used was Make Believe Comix that can be found by clicking here: https://www.makebeliefscomix.com This site was the most user-friendly and does not even require a login. It offers a variety of images and editing is very simple. This is probably the best bet for younger students or if time for the lesson is limited. Image quality is not excellent but it is sufficient for classroom use. This site allows for creating up to 18 panels in a comic. Here is an example of a comic I created using this site:
Students will enjoy making their own comics and these applications allow for creativity to flow. Lesson ideas vary based on the subject. In science, students can explain a concept. In English, students can retell or summarize a story. In Spanish, students can create conversations. Students can use comics in a get-to-know-you activity. However they are used, comics in the classroom can be a lot a fun!



Great blog post! I found similar things when I researched the 3 websites. I LOVED the graphics on Pixton, but was so disappointed that they were so limited in the free version.
ReplyDeleteI can see so many applications for these in the library, especially with reading skills in the upper grades! I think the kids will love them!
I agree with both you and Jennslibrary. Pixton has amazing graphics, and there are some great things you can do with the educational version. However it is pretty limited backgrounds. I still feel like it is worth the use. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your assessment of Pixton but I think it would be a really powerful tool for teachers if a district was able to purchase the premium version. Like many tools that enable a teacher to set up a virtual classroom would make lesson implementation go even smoother.
ReplyDelete